Mopar Collectors Guide article on GL#4

All about flying orange clunker cars!

Moderators: Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane, Dale and Kitt, confede

Mopar Collectors Guide article on GL#4

Postby CornDog » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:52 am

Some of you who subscribe to Mopar Collectors Guide may have seen that my General Lee is in the latest issue (May '13). I just wanted to point out that there are a few errors in the article, as far as accuracy. One error is where they said four Chargers were used for the Reunion... meaning the 1997 Reunion. This is correct for the '00 Reunion, but only three cars were used for the '97 Reunion. ('97 used three, '00 used the same three with the addition of John Schneider's personal car).

Another error in the article was where he talks about the car being the same one that is seen in the barn at the beginning of the '97 Reunion (Romeo's car). This is true but the details were wrong. The article says the proof of it being the same car is from seeing factory yellow paint in the trunk compartment. I don't know where he got that from because you never see the trunk from that scene. The proof that it is the same car is actually a lot more simple than that. My car is the only one that does not have the two chrome bumperettes on the front bumper. You can see it plain as day.

Other than that, I can't recall anything else that was wrong at the moment. Just thought I should clear that up before the nay-sayers call the whole article junk. The magazine articles are always great for research and reference purposes but they're humans too and can make mistakes.

Justin
"CornDog"

CornDog

Re: Mopar Collectors Guide article on GL#4

Postby kikgas01 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 pm

I thought Romeo`s car was a original series car. It sure looked like it anyway.
Going left, turning right!
kikgas01

Postby CornDog » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

kikgas01 wrote:I thought Romeo`s car was a original series car. It sure looked like it anyway.

Nope. The WB close-up car from the TV series had the really thin 01. Everyone wanted to believe that Romeo's car was one of the TV series cars and that was exactly how they found it. That rumor has been around almost as long as the '97 Reunion but it isn't true. Plus, the actual TV series car had front bumperettes.

Justin
"CornDog"
CornDog

Postby kikgas01 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm

They did a heck of a job on it.
kikgas01

Postby Jrobe614 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Hey Corndog,

The article states that you are going to be done with the build later this year, is this correct? That looks like one heck of a build!!!! :D

Justin
Good Times!!!
Jrobe614

Postby CornDog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 am

I originally planned for later this year but I don't know if that's gonna happen. It will definitely be back as a rolling shell this year, possibly even painted. But I'm not sure that it will be finished though. That would be nice!!

Justin
"CornDog"
CornDog

Postby 7thgeneral » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 pm

any progress pics?
80 turbo trans am "son of trigger" bandit 2 car
98 trans am ram air ws6 clone
owned and built 7 GL replicas and on the hunt for another
7thgeneral

Postby twentiethmaine20 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 am

It'll be great to see this Charger rebuilt. When checking it out on your main-site, it says G.L.#3 was used in both the reunion shows and 05' movie. Just out of curiosity, are you planning to build it back to the reunion or movie version?

Thanks man and take care,
Aaron
twentiethmaine20

Postby CornDog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:38 pm

I do not have any updated photos because I FINALLY found a good enough front uni-body clip for the car (which is where I need to start the repair process. Now I have every piece of sheet metal to make it a roller again. When we get more consistent weather then I'll be able to make some serious progress on the car.

Aaron, I am building it back to 1997 Reunion specs (when it only had a 3-point roll bar. I have one of the roll bars that was in either #003 or #002. It will go back into the car. I would have liked to build the car back to 2000 Reunion specs, and as cools as it would be to have the full cage in the car, I couldn't live with the X-frame going through the rear seat cushion. It would have been strictly a 1 or 2 seater at best.

Justin
"CornDog"
CornDog

Postby tvandmoviecars » Sun May 05, 2013 11:42 am

hmm.. I have this issue, and never read it!<LOL> Guess I need to find it!<LOL>
tvandmoviecars

Postby kikgas01 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 am

CornDog wrote:I do not have any updated photos because I FINALLY found a good enough front uni-body clip for the car (which is where I need to start the repair process. Now I have every piece of sheet metal to make it a roller again. When we get more consistent weather then I'll be able to make some serious progress on the car.

Aaron, I am building it back to 1997 Reunion specs (when it only had a 3-point roll bar. I have one of the roll bars that was in either #003 or #002. It will go back into the car. I would have liked to build the car back to 2000 Reunion specs, and as cools as it would be to have the full cage in the car, I couldn't live with the X-frame going through the rear seat cushion. It would have been strictly a 1 or 2 seater at best.

Justin
"CornDog"

Was that 3 point bar used on the show as well?
kikgas01

Postby kikgas01 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 am

stupid double post......
kikgas01

Postby CornDog » Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 pm

I am not positive at this time if the roll bar that I have was used in the TV series. It was built by AJ Thrasher though.

Justin
"CornDog"
CornDog

Return to General Lee Stuff